- 1992 Judith Kolberg presentation about Chronic Disorganization at NAPO Conference (National Association of Professional Organizers)
- 1993-2001 NSGCD operated as an “unofficial” Special Interest Group within NAPO, calling itself the National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization (NSGCD) was established. It held one-hour meetings at NAPO annual conferences
- 1995 The Chronical was created and edited by Judith Kolberg; ICD still produces this bi-monthly newsletter
- 1998 Judith Kolberg's books, Conquering Chronic Disorganization and What Every Professional Organizer Needs to Know About Chronic Disorganization were published
Change & Transition
- 1998-2001 Advisory Committee (Denslow Brown, Cindy Glovinsky, Terry Prince, Valentina Sgro, Irene Tobis) worked to decide how to transition the NSGCD into an independent organization.
- 2001 August — Judith Kolberg transitioned out of NSGCD and NSGCD was formally and legally founded
- 2001 September — NSGCD officially became non-profit California corporation and first Board of Directors formed (Terry Prince, Sheila Delson, Valentina Sgro, Cindy Glovinsky, Debbie Stanley)
- 2003 March — NSGCD 501(c)(3) status was recognized by IRS
- 2008 Concerned that the name National Study Group on Chronic Disorganization was limiting and no longer represented the nature of the organization’s work, the Board of Directors appointed a Feasibility Task Force to explore the ramifications of a name change.
- 2009 The Board approved the Feasibility Task Force’s recommendation that the NSGCD change its name and appointed a Name Change Steering Committee to research and select the new name.
- July 2010 The NSGCD Board of Directors approved the change of the group’s name to Institute for Challenging Disorganization, effective January 1, 2011.
The mission of the Institute for Challenging Disorganization is to provide education, research and strategies to benefit people affected by chronic disorganization.
- 2001 October — NSGCD offered its Level I and Level II certificates
- 2002 April — Level III through Level V programs were approved by the board and first General Exams were held in Atlanta, GA
- 2004 April — First ADD Exam and ADD Specialist Certificates graduates, first CPO-CD® graduates
- 2004 — Level IV begins
- 2005 Summer — Level V Master Trainer Attained
- 2007 Offered CE credits for Psychologists, Social Workers & other mental health professionals
- 2010 — First Hoarding Exam and Hoarding Specialist Certificates awarded
- 2012 - First Aging Exam and Aging Specialist Certificates
- 2002 Spring — NSGCD's first conference in Atlanta, GA
- 2003-2007 — Annual spring conferences held at various locations
- 2002-2006 — Annual Fall Forums
- 2007 Fall — First fall conference held in Mt. Laurel, NJ
- 2008 Fall — Held in St. Louis, MO
- 2009 Fall — Held in Los Angeles, CA
- 2010 Fall — Held in Austin, TX
- 2011 Fall — Held in Raleigh, NC
- 2012 Fall - Held in Chicago, IL
- 2013 Fall - Held in Denver, CO
- 2014 Fall - Held in Nashville, TN
- 2002 NSGCD open to POC members (Professional Organizers of Canada)
- 2004 NSGCD open to Related Professionals
- 2005 Affiliation agreements with NAPO and POC
- 2007 NSGCD signs agreement and creates IFPOA (International Federation of Professional Organizing Associations) with NAPO and POC
- 2009 NSGCD signs affiliation agreement with Australasian Association of Professional Organisers (AAPO)
- 2009 NSGCD signs agreement with NAPO and POC to add AAPO (Australasian Association of Professional Organisers) and NBPO (Dutch Association of Professional Organizers to IFPOA).
- 2010 NSGCD signs affiliation agreement with the National Association of Senior Move Managers (NASMM) and Nederlandes Beropsvereniging van Professional Organizers (NBPO)
- 2011 ICD signs affiliation agreement with the Japanese Association of Life Organizers (JALO)
- 2012 ICD signs affiliation agreement with Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (CHADD)
- 2013 ICD signs affiliation agreement with Professional Organiser Association of Africa (POAA)
"Best Educational Resource"
2007 NAPO Los Angeles Organizing Award
2009 NAPO Organizer's Choice Award
2010 NAPO Organizer's Choice Award
2011 NAPO Organizer's Choice Award
2012 NAPO Organizer's Choice Award
"Best Educational Resource"
2013 NAPO Organizer's Choice Award
Terry Prince, CPO-CD® (President 2001-2004)
Sheila Delson, CPO-CD® (President 2004-2006)
Lynne Johnson, CPO-CD® (President 2006-2008)
Kit Anderson, CPO-CD® (President 2008-2010)
Kathy Trezise, CPO-CD® (President 2010-2012)
Valentina Sgro (President 2012-2014)
Linda Samuels, CPO-CD® (President 2014-2016)